We didn't get a chance to post our pictures from the fourth yet. We had a great day. We went to Clarksville to spend the day with Rick's parents. But first, we had to take a stroll down memory lane of Rick's childhood home places....every little detail, from the trees he fell out of, to the tree he had to climb when a dog chased him, to the ditch he rode his bike into, and on and on.... It was fun. And oh my Lord, the fireworks in Tennessee!!! These people are serious about their Fourth of July celebrations! I have never seen such huge Fireworks "stands" or circus tents is more like it....




And here's the Army base at Fort Campbell Kentucky....Home of the 101st Airborne Division's Screamin' Eagles! (I sound like I really know what I'm talking about don't I???)



And here's the state line coming in from Ft. Campbell, Kentucky.
Ok, they have actual fireworks stores here. Now to those of you who have lived outside of California, that's probably no big deal. But to a bunch of California born and breds, this was unbelievable. Actually stacks of packages of Roman Candles! And Michael found his dream package of fireworks...actually bigger than he is!


This is Rick's childhood home. His parents lived here before he was born and they moved after he had left home so his entire childhood was spent right here! This is a view from the side. We couldn't get the front because of so many trees hiding it.
This is the other side of the home. If you look through the trees, you can see how far the house goes back and down into the lower levels. Much bigger than it appears. That window peeking out from the between the bushes used to be Rick's bedroom when he was a kid.

This was Rick's "backyard" when he was growing up. The trees are all grown now and some of them weren't even here when he was young. Their grandparents lived on their property also just to the left of this picture.

This is the driveway that leads to the house where his grandparents lived when he was growing up. They had a walking path through the field where he and his sister would walk from their house to his grandparents.

And....this was his elementary school. Yes, it's old!!! His mom went there for goodness sake! They even had some of the same teachers. Yikes!
He then took us by this little church. This was a church he used to play drums in a lot.
And these are some of the sweetest people you could ever meet. This is Bobby and Mary Alice. These are Rick's parents best friends that they've known for years...they were in their wedding. So they've known Rick his entire life. We just happened to be driving by and there they were sitting out on their front porch and Rick said, "I've got to stop and say hi." They were so happy to see everyone and so welcoming.
They just make you feel so at home. She walked over to the car because she wanted to meet Mike and Ang and Travis....she just started pulling everyone out of the car. They would do anything for you...just genuine dear friends.
This is their home. Just a cute modest home but they've lived here almost their entire married life, raised their daughter there and have many good memories there. They actually could live anywhere they wanted but they choose to live here where it's home to them.
This is the property behind their home. It is such a beautiful place, so peaceful and serene.
Ok, then after the stop for some southern hospitality :>), we went on down the road to this little country church. This is the church where Rick received salvation. Now, this is also the church where his Dad got saved and his mom and Dad got married. This was the church they attended until he was a teenager.
Then we arrived at Rick's parents house for dinner.
Now, this folks, is what they in the south call "BBQ". No it's not on the grill outside (that confused me for the longest time, that's grillin'!). This is BBQ sandwiches and they are huge here in the south. It's cooked for hours (usually overnight) and it's yummy! Especially with a little Louisiana hotsauce sprinkled on top and a nice juicy tomater to boot! (Somebody stop me!!!)
Ashley just relaxing and enjoying coffee after dinner. We were waiting for it to get dark so we could start the fireworks.
I think Angela was enjoying her relaxing afternoon with the girls!
And then there's me, doing what I ALWAYS do!There's always a picture to be taken, a memory to preserve, something to capture to use as blackmail later ;>)
Ok, let the fireworks BEGIN!
I don't know who was more excited. Alex or these three!
I had picked up these flags for Alex just because I thought they were a cute addition for Fourth of July celebration and he just loved them! He wanted to hold on to them everywhere he went. Then at the end of the night, he forgot them and said, "Oh I need my flags...do I get to take these home with me?" Of course, Aunt Re Re said!
Michael was trying to light these firecrackers and get them to explode mid air so he would hold them extra long. It was hilarious because he would get nervous and then throw it real fast. (I know, Mom, I tried to tell him for you but he wouldn't listen!)
Travis was lighting these big fireworks that shoot up in the air and they have a really long fuse. So, everytime he would try to light it, Mike would light one of those firecrackers and throw it in his direction. It was hilarious watching Travis jumping around avoiding those firecrackers!And here's me and my girl! Oooh, somebody powder our nose! It was kind of humid out this evening!
Ok, is this not the most adorable picture of Alex. He was waiting so patiently for the fireworks to start. But he was being careful not to get to close....probably a good idea considering those three big boys were playing with them first!
Aww, Michael doing his little tutu dance! Mom, doesn't he just make you so proud! :>)




California fireworks!

Tennessee fireworks!


Alex was so proud of his tattoo he got from the fireworks store. 
And then it was lights out on the way home! Way too much play for one day!
Well, I hope we haven't bored you too much with all these photos. Now you know why it took so long to post! I had to edit all 350, yes 350, photos from the Fourth of July! Thanks for looking! Love you all.
See, I love all the pictures! I like a lot to look at! Great post!! :-)
ReplyDeleteYa'll are sure talking a lot of smack about California to have lived here your whole life. There are good things about Ca like your family is still here....blah,blah,blah!!!!
ReplyDeleteThose were great, wish we could have been there with you. :( But we had a good time with Terry's dad.. Those pictures of Rick's childhood home were great..
ReplyDeleteMan that was a long post! But I loved it! Alex looks so old in the picture of him holding the sparkler.
ReplyDeleteOk Gumps!!! Cool your jets! We weren't talking smack about California! We were just comparing the fireworks. You can do more of a bang here! Maybe because it's not as dry since there's a lot of rain in the spring and summer. We still love California, it's our home state and we love many, many people there!
ReplyDeleteMom I love all your pictures. I want a new camera just like yours where it captures the natural light. Oh and i think you need to call Miss Spelling Bee Champ and have her read your blog before you post your next blog. You have a typo in your last paragraph. haha Love you!!
ReplyDeleteOk, Missy Ashley....I fixed it thank you very much!
ReplyDeleteI was just playing...I know Calif fireworks suck!!! The ones back there are very cool. We just didn't have very much fun like you guys on the 4th.
ReplyDeleteI remember those spots very much like Ft.Campbell, the fireworks store, grammy n papa's house...they still have some of the same stuff on their counter tops and tables...how funny...
that was just a totally different life back then for me and Shine. Very strange to look back.
Gumps, we know you were playing. Actually, I can't tell you how many times throughout the day we all kept saying, "It's just not the same without the family together." Even though we had a good time, there was a big hole in all of us, knowing how our celebrations should be! Miss all of you.
ReplyDeleteI was reading over this post and it brings back memories for us - living in the south! And I know what you mean about BBQ/grilling being confusing. Shawn and I were SOOOOO confused when we moved to California and grilling was called BBQ-ing. We were so disappointed every time someone invited us over for BBQ and we never got anything but tri-tip!!!???!!!
ReplyDelete